Throttle Back!
It was a good day in Keeler myeloma-land today. We’ve been running at flat out now for a few weeks. Full strength meds; full time application of those meds; full court press on those myeloma cells.
There is a price to be paid for running flat out. It’s hard on the myeloma cells, and it is hard on poor old Tim’s body. Wears you down. Sometimes it makes the flesh where you live a not very inviting place. The steroids, in particular, can make several days out of each week a very unpleasant affair. It almost seemed to me that I was holding one bare wire of a plugged in extension cord in one hand and the other bare wire of that extension cord in the other hand. I’m sure the feeling wasn't quite that bad, but the constant buzzing and tingling throughout my body had a paralyzing effect that makes it hard to move or concentrate. Not everyone on steroids has this, but I did, and it seemed to grow in intensity with each round of dexamethasone. Still, if it’s helping to kill cancer cells …..
The doctor’s good news today was that it is time to pull the throttle back, ease off, lighten up. The meds are working, getting my out of whack numbers headed back in the right direction. My hemoglobin, which bottomed out at 7.8 at the time of my blood transfusion, is back up to 10.9.
So throttle back! No meds this weeks; a slightly smaller dose of steroids next week. The new schedule calls for 2 weeks on the Revlimid chemo drug and 1 week off for the near future.
I am looking forward to discovering how much better I might feel during these throttled back times. I’m thankful for my good medical care, and for brilliant researchers unlocking the mysteries of disease. I’m struck by how difficult it is to make your mind and will power overcome an uncooperative body. I’m mindful of and prayerful for those who are not at a point where they can throttle back.
And I am ever grateful for the prayers of the many loving, caring, believing people who take the time to remember me before the one who watches over the sparrow and all of us.

No comments:
Post a Comment