Monday, May 11, 2015

Hairless in Ohio?


As a mostly bald guy since college days, I don’t dwell very much on hair. And in the great scheme of important things related to multiple myeloma, hair is at the bottom of the list. But I find it very therapeutic to have a little fun with some of these crazy situations we’re put into because of our myeloma disease. Maybe you do too. Smile with me…..

The trouble with telling everyone, post sct, that you are hairless -- and posting a picture of such -- is that you aren’t!

Picture-wise, I look pretty much like a cue ball thanks to the high dose melphalan that started the transplant process. My stem cells were returned to me on April 2, 2015 and a few weeks later my strands of hair began emigrating to hat, floor, pillow and shower drain. Last week, 5 weeks post transplant, on the verge of being released from home quarantine while my immune system bounced back, I decided it was time to reveal my new look on Facebook. I took a selfie of my seemingly hairless head to prepare my friends for the new look. (Many of them told me they were eagerly awaiting such a shot!)

But what I have noticed about my hairless head is that it isn't hairless! I’m not much for staring close up in the mirror in search of vestigial strands, but I can’t ignore the tingling of my scalp when I walk, or when the breeze wisps by. As I walk from room to room, I feel a bobbing and swaying on the back of my neck. It feels like I have a full head of hair! I never felt such lilting when all my hair was intact, but now I feel like a sexy model strutting down the runway with hair bouncing with each step.  Yes, here I am, looking like a poster child for the “Bald is Beautiful” campaign, and I feel like I should pause and shake my head to show off my animated coiffure.

I guess I could lather up, and skim the razor over my pate. That would make me an honest cue ball type, but who am I to say those hairs aren't doing some good? They've been clinging even in the face of a dire circumstance. Why should I put an end to them? Isn't that part of what is wrong with the world? We always have to go along with the masses. We discount the individualists who stay and do their jobs long after the others have gone onto greener pastures. I think I will let those remaining, almost invisible hairs, stay as long as they want.

They say I will have hair again in 3-6 months. They say I can expect the new hair may be darker, thicker and curlier. I’m a little nervous about the report from one chemo survivor that the new hair may resemble that of a poodle!


In the meantime, I will take my walks, and I will tune into that bobbing, swaying, lilting sensation around my seemingly bald head. All it took was that dose of melphalan to show me what it’s like to be a glamour girl. Excuse me while I shake my head and feel the swirl of hair!

3 comments:

  1. Well, GT, I remember well what "they say" meant for us a few years back as we struggled with the building. I think it's a cool look, but don't be too hasty to take Becky's suggestion and grab a tootsie pop and with an arrogant grin declare "who loves ya baby? We loves ya Tim!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this week, Kojak, next week Mr. Clean, and then there's Yul Brynner, and Michael Jordan, even Howie Mandel! Is the new hair coming in yet????

      Delete
  2. Just don't throw your back out from all the head shaking!

    ReplyDelete