Two and a half
months post Stem Cell Transplant. The transplant docs have handed me back to my
much trusted Cleveland Clinic guy who calls all the shots for my treatment, Dr.
Fred Reu. Dr. Reu is famous in my mind for his instant declaration 30 seconds
into my January appointment with him: “Good news! You’re in remission…. That’s
the perfect time for a Stem Cell Transplant!” So much for my resolve to avoid
the SCT at all costs.
My main man congratulates me on avoiding all
the complications that can happen during an SCT. He says I look good. He asks
me how I feel, and I say, “Pretty good, but I wear out pretty fast.” “You’ll
feel much better in about two months,” he assures me. He goes out on the limb a
little further: “Since you were in remission before the SCT, you are in
remission now, and you should remain in remission for a good length of time,
maybe a year or two, or even longer. Of course, there are no guarantees.” Dr.
Reu prescribes a maintenance dose of a
newer drug called Pomalyst, (even pricier than my Revlimid pill that I took
pre-SCT, he says, which retailed for about $23,000 a month), and continuation of the monthly Aredia
infusions to help strengthen my bones.
When my host of
ardent supporters, pray-ers, and well wishers hear good news like this, it
usually brings out a flurry of hoorays, hallelujahs and a truckload of giddy
and celebrative comments. I’ve got a great group of people rooting for me!
But I must confess
that I’m not a jump up and down, giddy, exuberant kind of guy when it comes to
this kind of news. Maybe I’ll have to count on my friends and family for that.
I’m an “in-the-moment” kind of guy. It’s hard for me to think about 2 years
down the road. And perhaps it is my faith or my personality that makes me try
to keep the highs and the lows subdued and within bounds.
Or maybe it is my
vocation: Lutheran pastor, now retired. A pastor’s everyday life can be a
strange mixture of celebration and grief. It’s not unusual – in the space of
just a few hours to be called to the bedside of a dying parishioner, followed
by celebrating the birth of a child with a new mother and father, while
preparing to meet with another couple who are on the verge of divorce. The
human soul can only take so many wild, emotional swings in the space of such a
short time, so, as a pastor, I think I learned not to get too high or too low.
In the past, when
I researched the meaning of my last name, “Keeler,” it usually ended up with the
suggestion that my ancestors had something to do with ship building, laying the
keel and building up the boat. I haven’t laid any keels, but maybe I’m more
tuned in to keeping an even keel. I remember well the day my family doctor
asked me if I knew what “multiple myeloma” is (I didn’t). Even that day, I
don’t remember feeling any despair. My predominant feeling? Well, I can see I
have a job to do. Better get at it.
So, I hope Dr. Reu
has made a good guess based on his experience. I hope remission does last 2
years or more. But I’m not going to jump and click my heels together. I’m not
going to get giddy; you may, on my behalf, if you like. I am, however, feeling
good. And I’m anticipating what it is going to be like to feel better in a
couple months. Right now, I’m thinking about how to make the most of this day. The other day, I was able to go fishing with my grandson and Riley the dog. It’s a beautiful day. Life is good! Jesus loves me. And I am keeping the even
keel.

No comments:
Post a Comment