So now, I may need that double holster again. I'm aiming bullets at both the multiple myeloma I've been dinging since 2009, and now, prostate cancer. My cancerous prostate gland was removed in January, but my latest PSA confirms that some of the cells made their way to the lymph nodes and beyond.
This week ( March 6th) I met my new Cleveland Clinic prostate oncologist, Dr. Ornstein. He was pretty positive. Having remaining prostate cancer cells circulating in my body puts me about halfway up the danger scale, but getting an injection of a testosterone-suppressing drug called Lupron every 3 months should starve the cancer cells and keep things under control. He looks for a good decade ahead. Meanwhile, I have healed well from the surgery.
On the myeloma front, after 3 years of remission post stem cell transplant, the blood test numbers began going in the wrong directions last May. A new drug was added to my maintenance drugs last fall to stop the progression, but, so far, the numbers continue to creep in the wrong ways. We are not at a danger point just yet, but my current drug may get the ax if the numbers don't change for the good by April. Don't worry. There are several other effective drugs to try.
In spite of all this, life for me has been good. If you've watched my FaceBook page, you know I have still been out and about and enjoying life. The surgery slowed me down a bit, and I need to do some walking, stretching and lifting to get back in shape, but I'm itching to get out this spring just as much as you are. The John Deere is calling me to get ready for mowing the grass, there could be a fish or two to toy with, There are some sights to be seen, some close and some a little further. Some people to be enjoyed, Some service to be given. Some songs to be sung. Some prayers to be prayed.
Do you know how awesome it is to be able to access all this excellent medical care today? I do. Every person should be able to get the care they need without undue stress and being confronted with unreasonable choices. I know by reading the stories in my myeloma support group that not everyone can afford the care they need. We must work harder to make it happen.
Thank you for all your prayers and support. There are so many offering so much on my behalf. You are wonderful. Stay tuned. More chapters to come.

Hi Tim! This is a classmate from back when.... Mel Kirk has been keeping me in the loop regarding your journey. We celebrate and give thanks for the good news and pray for strength and blessing and joy in the continued journey.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Harry Biles
Hi Harry, I heard you were in Mel's vicinity. Thanks for your thoughts. I hope you are doing well.
DeleteWhat a great post to your Blog! Sure enjoyed it. Yes, Spring arrives tomorrow. May you get on those “things to do” real soon and greatly ENJOY all.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jan. I read thru some of your posts as well. I hope Brian is doing well.
ReplyDelete